9.17.2008

Good things in Life

So today as I was walking home from work, or rather just across campus (its so great to say that!) I looked up and saw a student that lives in our dorm. He waved at me and so I waved back being the friendly person that I am. Then in trying to be extra friendly I yelled out..." Are you on your way to Rugby practice??!?" (the night before I had a conversation with him about rugby). He kept walking...and I felt stupid. He had earphones in and was probably listening to music louder than he medically should.

I still felt stupid. And I had to laugh at myself. I thought of other times where I felt stupid and laughed at myself. Like when you pass someone and you think you know who they are so you wave or give an extra friendly smile. Then it turns out you DON'T know who they are at all and they now think you're odd for such a great big smile.

Or how about when you are walking alone and you are attacked by a bee, or even worse a spider dropping down from the trees. You then flip out and flail your arms around, all the while looking like a crazy to the rest of the world who can not see the bug attacking you.

Or how you trip over nothing in the sidewalk? Or when you say something completely wrong to someone important...you know somehow your words just get mixed up...

I love it when I find something really funny and go to share it with someone who does not find it funny, yet you just can't stop laughing about it.

Those moments when you feel like a complete dork are great. They're humbling, and good entertainment for the rest of the day. And being able to laugh at yourself is probably one of the greatest gifts in life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hhm... I'm pretty sure these things only happen to YOU, Leanne. ;) Just kidding.... Gotta say, I especially like imagining you flailing your arms at an "invisible" spider!